Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My latest Hall of Fame & Tobacco Card Acquisition

The Pirates have 37 Alumni who played at least one game with the Pittsburgh Pirates in the Hall of Fame.  Of that group, only 11 were inducted into the Hall having played more games with Pittsburgh than any other franchise that individual had played for.

Recent inductees like Bert Blyleven and Goose Gossage had wonderful careers, but likely won't be remembered a generation from now as being on the Pirates.

The Pirates were a powerhouse in the early 1900s being lead by the greatest shortstop of All-Time, Honus Wagner, and leftfielder, Fred Clarke.

My ultimate goal is to add autographs of Hall of Famers, Roberto Clemente and Honus Wagner, but adding Fred Clarke was a major score to my collection.

This 2015 Historic Autographs includes a cut auto of the 1909 World Series Champion along with an original t206 Piedmont trading card.

Clarke finished his career with over 2,600 hits, a career batting average of .312 and an on base percentage of .386 while swiping 509 bags.  His best season may have come in his final season before joining the Pirates back in 1899 when he hit .340, stole 49 bags, and only struck out 18 times in 681 plate appearances.  He became the player manager his first year with the Bucs in 1900.

I was having a conversation with my brother the other day and what I find most fascinating about adding these incredible cut autographs to the collection is that guys like Fred Clarke had passed away before Carlos Correa's father was even born.  Wrap your head around that for perspective.  Fred Clarke was born before electricity really took off with Thomas Edison's inventions.

3 comments:

  1. It's almost like a archaeological artifact than it is a piece of sports memorabilia - I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the concept of 2015 Historic Autographs. I just watched a guy bust a case last week. Your Clarke is exceptionally nice, b/c most of the cuts I've seen are part of letters so there's a lot of excess writing. Congratulations on the beautiful addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides money obviously, it's why I haven't pulled trigger on a Clemente or Wagner. If I ever get one, I want it to look clean like it belongs in a museum.

      Delete