Monday, February 18, 2013

Starling Marte Collection Update

I'm going to take a look at my Starling Marte collection today.

Starling Marte became only the 27th player in Major League history to hit a HomeRun in their very first pitch of the MLB career when he went yard on Dallas Keuchel of the Houston Astros last year.

The above cards are from 2012 Topps Minor League Baseball.  I scored both relics for a combined $10 shipped which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask for my humble opinion.

Starling became one of my favorite players to root for in the minor leagues when he gave me a broken bat of then Pirates prospect Aaron Thompson.  He also signed 6 autograph baseballs for me along with a few cards.

Marte has a cannon for an arm and could become a key part to the Pirates future outfield setup.  His biggest issue is pitch recognition and swinging at pitches outside the strike zone.  He doesn't walk often and that's why he won't be a good batter to hit in the leadoff spot for the Pirates in 2013.  He did manage to get 12 steals in only 43 games though so he shows potential of being a baserunning threat on the bases.


If anyone has any Starling Marte cards they are looking to trade please hit me up with a trade offer.

2 comments:

  1. Is he going to make opening day as a starter this year? I'm in a deep fantasy league and he might be a good pickup, if he is going to play.

    He signed an auto for each of my kids at the Futures game in AZ. He stayed long after almost every one else quit signing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some Starling Marte. Great players.

    And Adam, yes, he is very likely to make the roster.

    ReplyDelete