Thursday, July 17, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Bill Almon TTM/IP Auto

A long long long time ago I made a trade with Troll!  It was just a bunch of random relics and autos of Rays for a collection of IP/TTM autos of ex Pirates.  As I continue to organize my entire collection, I continue to come across little pieces of cardboard like what you see below.

This on card ballpoint pen auto is of the one time utility player Bill Almon who played for the Pirates from 1985-1987.  Almon spent most of his 15 year career as a utility infielder that could play 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, and all outfield positions.  While playing for some American League teams like the WhiteSox and A's he was also used as a DH.  He has no significant statistics except leading the National League in sacrifice hits in 1977 while a member of the San Diego Padres.

Almon went on to post a career batting average of .254 while playing for the Padres, Expos, White Sox, A's, Pirates, Phillies, and twice with the Mets.

I wish I had more to say about the #1 overall selection in the 1974 MLB draft, but besides having one of his only starting shortstop roles with the White Sox in 1981, a year that he finished 19th for MVP voting I'm short on words.

Evidently Topps was too based on the back of his cardboard from 1985 Topps Traded.

No comments:

Post a Comment