Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Best 1/1 in my Supercollection????

As many (if not all) of you know, I own most likely the largest Charlie Morton baseball card collection on the planet.  I have nearly 1 copy of every card produced of the veteran right hander and have been adding multiple copies of the rarer low print runs to my collection on an ongoing basis.  Getting a chance to meet him back in 2010 when he was one of the worse (statistically) pitchers in franchise history to where he is now, makes me very proud of the hard work he has put in to reinventing himself as a true pitcher and not just a guy that throws hard.

Last night, the Pirates lost a tough pitching duel between Adam Wainwright and Charlie Morton.  Wainwright, for as good as he was and all his accomplishments just wasn't as good as Charlie.  In 7 shutout innings, Morton used only 84 pitches to surrender only 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 5.  Wainwright on the other hand, used 112 pitches to sprinkle 7 hits and 3 walks over 7 innings.  The Pirates left 12 men on base during the game.

Despite not being able to add another win to the back of Charlie's baseball card, I am still on the hunt for his cardboard and besides the 2008 Superfractor I added last December, I can't think of a card I am more happy to add to my collection than this.

The grading on it is subpar, yes....but it's a 1/1 2012 Topps Gold Embedded piece of cardboard of Ground Chuck!!!!  To my understanding, the Topps Golden Embedded 1/1 cards fell 1:20,000 codes which were distributed 1 in every 6 hobby packs.  That means that to get a code like this that there were 120,000 hobby packs opened to get 1 of these kinds of cards.  Now multiply that by the 661 card base set and you can see how elusive this card is.

It marks the 10th 1/1 I have shown off on the PTR.

Here's a recap of the others.
2008 Superfractor
2011 Topps Printing Plate
2012 Topps Wood
2012 Topps Mini Printing Plate
2012 Leaf A Sign of History Cut Auto
2013 Printing Plate
2013 Topps Blank Back
2014 Topps Blank Back
2014 Topps Heritage Blank Back

2 comments:

  1. I would be willing to bet that you have the best Morton collection in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think so. I also have a game used glove, a few jerseys, and even a cracked bat.

      Delete