Thursday, September 10, 2015

Football Thursday: Mean Joe Greene auto

The NFL season officially kicks off tonight as the Steelers and their multiple suspended playmakers and injured roster will be taking on the New England Cheaters Patriots.  I don't have a very good feeling about this game, but there were times last year that I had figured the game was in the bag for victories (Tampa Bay and NY Jets come to mind) so who knows?

One thing I do know though is that I completed another of my 2015 goals by acquiring this Mean Joe Greene autograph earlier in the year for the cool price of $35.  I set out the year to acquire two autographs of Steelers in the Hall of Fame in addition to a Jerome Bettis autograph.  At the time of my goal planning, Bettis had not yet been selected to join the illustrious group in Canton. 

So far the only card I had shown from that goal was my dual autograph of 4x Super Bowl Winner Terry Bradshaw and 2x Super Bowl Winner Ben Roethlisberger.  I'm super excited to add an on card auto of one of the most legendary Steelers of all time.

The Steelers have one of the most storied histories in the NFL, but only 2 players have ever have their number retired by the Steelers.  They have not issued numbers once a "Steelers Legend" has retired, but the number has not officially been retired.

One player who received the honor of getting their number retired is Joe.  Look up his stats and you will see why Joe Greene was a Hall of Famer and Fan Favorite. 

There will be other Steelers HOFers displayed before the season is over and also some very nice Steelers Legends too.  Keep an eye out for my Sunday Football posts. 

1 comment: