Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A recent COMC purchase

I recently made a small purchase on COMC for my growing Pirates collection focusing mostly on Cutch minis and adding to my Tony Sanchez collection.

Tony Sanchez made a very memorable catch a couple weeks ago and I went a little aggressive with my Tony Sanchez purchases off COMC since all the cards were very cheap.

2009 Tristar Prospects AUTO 71/199
The above autograph of Tony ran me $3.23.  Not a bad price for what could be the Pirates catcher of the future.
 Tony Sanchez Bowman Chrome Throwbacks
 Tony Sanchez 2010 Bowman Chrome Topps 100 Prospects refractor numbered 219/499
 2010 Topps Pro Debut Tools of the Trade and 2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition School Colors
2011 Topps Heritage Minors base card and SP #232 All-Star
The above 6 cards all ran me a total less than $7.

I couldn't resist adding the above Gerrit Cole Heritage Minors All-Star card for .50.  Cole has been one of the best pitchers in the National League in September.  Each start he gains more confidence and shows off why he was selected #1 overall in 2011.

Looking at all these vintage style cards make me want to show off some actual vintage?  Want to see it....

Next up are 3/4 of the cards I needed to complete my 1970 Pirates team set.


The only card I need now from the 1970 Topps Pirates team set is #551 Dock Ellis.  The Matty Alou All-Star card in the center is really neat looking.  I included the back above to show as well.  All three cards above cost me $2.20

I also grabbed 3 Jameson Taillon cards totalling $2.28.

First up your standard Bowman Platinum.  Nothing fancy here, just your average base card.  The back of the card talks about how Jamo through 5 scoreless in his AA debut.  I attended that game and sat next to a few other Pirates fans.  It was a blast seeing Jamo deal and dominate in his AA debut at age 20.

Next up is a Team USA Panini card of the young right hander who participated in the 18 and under play against Team Cuba.

On the back of the card it talks about how Taillon struck out 16 Cubans in 7.2 innings.

From Team USA to Team Canada, I grabbed another Jameson Taillon card.  Jameson was allowed to be a member of Team Canada because his parents were born there.  This card is from 2013 Topps Tribute WBC.  I have an autograph of Jameson which I showed off earlier in the year.

One of my main reasons for making the purchase was that I wanted to add to my Andrew McCutchen tobacco sized mini collection.  I grabbed 4 minis for $3.08.  The Allen & Ginter is the A&G back.

Speaking of Andrew McCutchen I also grabbed 2 more rookie cards from Upper Deck that have eluded me far too long.


First is the cheaper card, 2009 Signature Stars.  This ran me $2.25

Next up is a great looking 2009 SP Authentic rookie which ran me a whopping $6.65.  I've wanted to grab this card a couple times on ebay over the past 2 years, but all copies of this card normally end up in the $8 range after shipping costs.

Finally is the 2012 Panini Prizm Team USA card which cost me $0.49.


1 comment:

  1. Nice pickups! It's crazy to look at the catching situation now compared to the position we were in just a coupe years ago. I'm interested to see what Sanchez can do in a larger role next year.

    ReplyDelete