Monday, April 30, 2012

Group Break with JABO

I participated in JABOs 2 box Gypsy Queen break and chose the Pirates.
No major hits, but I did get an almost complete team set (missing Neil Walker) and some cool minis.
Here's what I plundered from the break

 2 minis of HOF Ralph Kiner.  The Moonshots series is really nice.  I like that purple border going around the cards.  The black bordered Tabata is 1:12 packs.  Jose had a nice 2 RBI night last night against the Braves and went 3 for 4 at the plate.

There's 3 HOF Pirates players in the team set (Clemente, Stargell, and Kiner).  It's nice to see some of the greatest Pirates get recognized although I wouldn't mind seeing next year's set include guys like Arky Vaughan, Bill Mazeroski, or Paul Waner since they don't nearly enough recognition.  

I still need the Neil Walker base card, Ralph Kiner moonshots insert card and athe SP image variants, but I'm happy with my near complete team set.  I am really happy the Pirates traded for Casey McGehee during the offseason.  He's providing some offense for a team that is struggling at the plate in the early season.

The Andrew McCutchen sliding stars insert is really interesting card.  On the back it gives a cool fact about Cutch.  "Only 17 players in Pirates history have stolen three or more bases in a game.  McCutchen has already done it twice in three seasons.  The first came on August 11, 2009 when the rookie swifted third two times and took second once in a victory over the Colorado Rockies."  I love reading the backs of these Gypsy Queens cards.  Soooo much neat information for my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment