Thursday, November 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The Dock is in!!!!

A few months ago I made a large purchase of over 100 cards on COMC that helped complete some vintage teamsets along with parallels and inserts of some of my favorite Pirates.

I already showed off my 1965 Topps Strikeout Leaders featuring Don Veale that completed my 1965 team set.  Today I'm going to show a card that ran me just over an Abe ($5) to complete the 1970 Topps Pirates team set.

Last card needed for the 1970 team set: Dock Ellis
Card Number: 551 (high number)
Player's most notable moment in Pirates career: threw a No Hitter on LSD

Dock Ellis recently passed away in 2008, but before his passing he would often tell a story of how he threw a no hitter on the drug LSD.  For more information of the No Hitter as told by Ellis, visit this site.

There's currently a documentary called No-No: A Dockumentary the Dock Ellis story.  The trailer can be seen below




1 comment:

  1. Gotta love Dock. I started a little collection of his cards not long ago.

    ReplyDelete