Saturday, July 13, 2013

Prospect Profile: Alen Hanson

For the first time in over a decade the Pittsburgh Pirates have a core nucleus in place at the major league level and some promising prospects on the horizon.  The upper levels of the minor league system feature power arms that will be ready to help the major league club this season while the lower levels feature toolsy players ready to join the team in 2-3 years.  Once a month I will profile one of the Bucs intriguing prospects and highlight some of the cards I own of that player.

This month's Pirate Prospect Profile is on Alen Hanson


Hanson is an interesting player to highlight.  He wasn't even considered to be one of the Pirates top 20 prospects heading into the 2012 season, but emerged with a breakout season last year as a 19 year old playing in short season A ball.  He's currently ranked the 54th best prospect by MLB.com and 61st by Baseball America.


2012 Leaf Memories AUOT 10/25
When I saw that Leaf was able to get Alen to be part of their 2012 Memories Autograph line, I knew I would have to add a card to the collection.  I put what I thought was a really high bid to ensure that I would win the auction.  Evidently, the person I was bidding against thought to do the same thing and the limited print run (25 made) stickered auto card of the young shortstop went for $37.  Looking at similar completed listings though I guess I didn't overpay too much as many others have been sold for similar prices.

Hanson also appeared as part of Bowman's Best which I managed to grab this diecut for just over $2.

Far and away this Bowman Sterling is my favorite of the bunch though as the parallel just looks awesome in black and gold.
2012 Leaf RIZE of the Prodigy Print Proof 94/100

I recently grabbed this Rize Inaugural Edition Proof of the young shortstop also.

Hanson is currently playing in A ball as a 20 year old shortstop.  He has a batting line of .289/.346/.446 which means his OPS is .792.  That's a very strong line for a middle infielder who just turned 20.  Take away his terrible April start in which he batted only .255 and he would have an average over .300 and an OPS around .900.  Add in the fact that he has 5 HR and 20SB through only 72 games and you're looking at a future top of the lineup hitter and top prospect.



No comments:

Post a Comment