Friday, September 27, 2013

Speed Demons: My 1st Rickey Henderson Relic featuring Cutch and Crawford

I love to watch athletic ballplayers.  Sure watching guys just crush the ball into the upper decks is fun, but nothing is more exciting than watching a game where it's the 9th inning with 2 outs and one of the fastest players in the game is on base.  Seeing some of the Pirates recent speedsters like Cutch and Marte motoring around the bases is incredible to watch.  However, no one will ever compare to what Rickey Henderson was able to do.  Even at the age of 39, Rickey was still able to swipe 66 bags.  He's the all-time leader in stolen bases with 1,406.  The next closest, Lou Brock, has almost 500 less than him.
2011  Topps Triple Threads Triple Jersey Relic (Henderson, Crawford, McCutchen) Sepia 7/27

When I saw this card hit the market a few years ago, I swore one day I would own it, but never for the $50 price tages I was seeing attached to it at the time of it's release.  For $30, I finally broke down and purchased it, not knowing how soon I would see another.  While I can guarantee I would NEVER buy a jersey relic of Crawford $10, I am ok with Rickey and Cutch for those prices.  The low numbering (7/27) and featuring the "greatest all time" in Rickey makes it worth it though.

The Pirates face off against the Reds in a three game series before having to face them again in the 1 game Wild Card game.  Hopefully the Pirates can keep that speed demon Billy Hamilton off the bases.

1 comment: