Wednesday, August 17, 2011

showing off some old Pirates Trophy winners

I'm short on time today, so this will be a very short post.  Lots of cards, but not many words.

Here's some Pirates cards I've had for awhile, but haven't added to my blog yet.

The connection between all these cards is that they won some kind of National League award while in a Pirate uniform.

Andy Van Slyke was one of my favorite players when I was younger.  AVS was absolutely awesome in Center Field as he won 5 gold gloves in a row wearing a Bucs uniform.  The first card listed is my only Van Slyke auto card I own.




Vern Law won the 1960 NL Cy Young award.  This card was part of the 2011 Topps Lineage series.

Jack Wilson, well known for his glove and defensive prowess, actually won an award using his bat in 2004 when he won the Silver Slugger Award.  Jack was also selected to his only All-Star game that year.

Bill Madlock was the first player to win 2 NL Batting Titles with 2 different teams when he won the award in 1979.  Mad Dog was a crucial part to the offensive threat of the World Series Champion Pirates that same year. I have about a dozen more Madlock autos/relics/parallels that I need to post, but not going to happen today.
Doug Drabek won the 1990 Cy Young Award.




Most of you know who Jason Bay is so I won't go on and on about how much I admire Jason Bay's work ethic and what he brings to a clubhouse.  He was the first Pirate to ever win the Rookie Of The Year award when he won it in 2004.



And who could forget Freddy Sanchez who won a NL Batting title in 2006? Surely not I.







That's all for today, but please check back tomorrow as I celebrate what would have been Roberto Clemente's 77th birthday and highlight all my Clemente cards and memorabilia.



No comments:

Post a Comment