Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I'll take $1, Bob (pt1)

When my local mall puts on a card show, it's normally got one table where you can buy cards for $1.  They're all in penny sleeves inside toploaders.  I normally wouldn't drop $1 on each of the cards, but for some reason I always find myself getting a fix at that table.  They also run a "deal" where it's 12 for $10 or 25 for $20.  

I did the 25 for $20 and grabbed some Pirates and Penguins cards.

The selection of Pirates players was weak.  Very weak actually.  There was only a few Cutch cards and I had all of them.  There was no Walker, Jones, Hanrahan, or Bays.  I sure as hell am not going to lay down a $1 for a Zach Duke 2010 Topps Gold Parallel so I went with some of the younger pitchers who've never thrown an MLB pitch before to add to my collection.  Oh and I got a lot of bull (El Toro).

Here's what I picked up as I tried to fill in some of my player collections.

Up first a few cards of the future ace Gerrit Cole
2012 Bowman Platinum Top Prospects
2012 Topps Debut
2012 Leaf National Sports Convention Young Stars
2012 Topps Heritage Minors
Cole was the number 1 overall selection in the 2011 draft and has the potential to be a front of the rotation starter with his devastating triple digit fastball and slider.  Prices on cards featuring him are already starting to skyrocket thanks to him being a top 10 prospect in all of baseball.  I managed to grab 4 of his cards at the table.

All four are new additions to the PTR.  Even though it's unlicensed I was really excited to add the NSCC promo of Cole to my collection.  More on that card later on though...


Next up is another potential future ace Jameson Taillon.
2012 Bowman Platinum Top Prospects
2011 Bowman's Best
2012 Topps Debut Minor League All-Stars
While Cole possesses a higher ceiling and is closer to the big leagues, I personally like Taillon more.  I got to see his AA debut last year when he got promoted to the Altoona Curve to face the Trenton Thunder.  Taillon's curveball is knee buckling when working properly.  He faced an All-Star loaded Team USA lineup while pitching for Team Canada during the WBC and was incredible in that too.  

I also grabbed 4 new Pedro Alvarez cards that I didn't previously have
2011 Bowman gold parallel
2011 Bowman International parallel

2012 Bowman Blue Parallel 383/500
2012 Bowman International Parallel

Ooh Bowman parallels.  I likey.  Prior to these I never had an international Bowman card.  I'm glad El Toro was my first. LOL!  The blue parallel from 2012 Bowman is numbered 383/500.  

2012 Leaf National Sports Convention Young Stars
The final card of my $10 haul was another unlicensed promo card from the National Sports Convention.  This one featuring the highest bonus paid to someone outside the first round.  Yes I am talking about Josh Bell, the switch hitting 5 tool talent that will be gracing the outfield grass with Cutch and Marte in 3-4 years.  I included a scan of the back below.

I was hoping to find some other Young Stars from this set, but when I asked the dealer if he had anymore he said "those shouldn't even be in there." I guess the Cole and Bell were my free 2 cards in the 12 for $10 deal.  I'll still take it though.  Tomorrow I'll show off the 13 Penguins I grabbed for $10 to complete the 25 for $20 deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment