Thursday, January 8, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Rick Rhoden Auto

I've been on the hunt for a Rick Rhoden autograph for my collection for several years.  To my knowledge he had 2 certified autos available and quite frankly I hated them both.  Thanks to my patience and not much of a desire to settle for anything less than the best, I finally added The Man, The Myth, The Mustache to my collection.

Rhoden was a member of the Pirates for 8 years (1979-1986) and in 1984 he had an 11 game hit streak.  He was a 3 time winner of the Silver Slugger for his outstanding hitting abilities as a pitcher and was elected to the All-Star game twice (only once with Pirates).  He was a 151 game winner and finished his career with a 3.59 ERA.

Rhoden was part of the trade that sent a young pitcher named Doug Drabek to the Pirates from the Yankees.  While a member of the Yankees, Rhoden was used a designated hitter in 1988.

The above on card auto ran me $8 which is a little more expensive than the Topps certified sticker autos go for, but the fact that it's on card, low numbered, and features that bright yellow uniform and pill cap hat, well I think it was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment