Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Revisiting the 2013 Goals

I did really well for myself in my 2013 cardboard collecting quest.

I managed to COMPLETE the Jason Bay Partner Project.

I completed the Topps 1975 Pirates team set (was hoping to complete 3 sets). FAILED!!!

I added a slew of new Cutch, Morton, Jason Bay, and Ryan Doumit cards to my collection.

I grabbed some awesome vintage of Roberto Clemente by picking up his 1966 Topps and 1965 Topps.

I completed my Bill Mazeroski trifecta by grabbing his 1957 Topps rookie card.

I made my own reverse box of 2013 Topps Tribute

I added 5 new Ralph Kiner autos to my collection

I added 4 Charlie Morton silk cards to my collection BUT ONLY 3 were from 2011. FAILED!!!

I managed to only get 2 1991 Fleer TTMs of Pirates (Jay Bell and Don Slaught) of a 5 card goal. FAILED!!!

I added a lot of Jameson Taillon & Gerrit Cole autographs to my collection in 2013, but failed to reach 20 autographs of each.  18 for Taillon and 21 for Cole FAILED!!!

I added some early 20th century Pirates players autos to my collection by grabbing a Babe Adams and Lloyd Waner cut autos.

I added several team logoman patches of the Jolly Roger from the Pirates sleeves including Starling MarteJason BayAndrew McCutchenJoel Hanrahan, and  Neil Walker.

But the most important of all for my 2013 Collecting Goals was that I finally added a Charlie Morton 1/1 Superfractor from 2008 Bowman Chrome to my collection.  This card has been my top want for nearly 3 years and it has never shown up on the open market until this year.  Saying I was excited would be an understatement.

So that brings us to 2014.  What should some of my goals for 2014 be?

Well...
I would like to become more focused in 2014
The Pirates have a lot of fun young exciting players coming up and I can't be buying every card produced with a Pittsburgh Pirates or Pittsburgh baseball club logo.

I will continue to add the Topps flagship set as part of my ongoing collecting goals so knocking out a few more vintage team sets will be a goal.

My main player collections will be a focus in 2014.
Many of my Charlie Morton needs are 1/1s so I would like to try add at least 1 to my collection.
I'm going to put a strong push to adding Ryan Doumit, Andy Van Slyke, and Jason Bay cards to my collection since many of those players have mass quantities I need and are very affordable.  Grabbing 3 new cards of each player a month seems reasonable so I'm going to push for 36 new cards of each player.

I want to add  another HOF Pirates player auto to my collection (Max Carey, Paul Waner, Roberto Clemente, Honus Wagner, Goose Gossage, Arky Vaughan, Pie Traynor, Fred Clarke, and Vic Willis top the list)

Andrew McCutchen autos!!!!! I'm currently at 66 UNIQUE CERTIFIED autographs of Cutch.  Trying to add 34 over the next year to get to 100 seems incredibly difficult since most of the cards I don't own are 1/1s.  However adding 9 more seems reasonable and expensive.

Tony Sanchez 2009 Bowman Chrome AUTOs PSA graded 9.5 or higher.  How sick would it be to complete a rainbow of graded cards?  Well I'm hoping to knock out half of that rainbow in 2014.

Bowman Chrome Gold AUTOs for top prospects.  The Pirates colors are black and yellow/gold.  I want to add Bowman Chrome Gold autos for the following: Jameson Taillon, Gerrit Cole, Gregory Polanco, Alen Hanson, Tyler Glasnow, Austin Meadows, and Reese McGuire.  This will without a doubt be the most expensive of the goals to complete.

1 comment:

  1. I love the "reverse box" idea... I'm definitely going to try that. I was only able to reach two out of ten of the goals I made for myself, so you kicked my butt in that department. Congratulations... and best of luck to you and your 2014 goals. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete